On to the next!

Check out my all new blog :-) -> Triumph Spitfire Blog!

woensdag 10 juni 2009

Overland to Egypt!


My love of classic motorcycles began in 1985 when I bought a 1963 Royal Enfield Crusader Sport. Since then I have been the owner of a plethora of different Royal Enfield models as well as a couple of Triumphs, an AJS and a 1957 mist green BSA D1 Bantam.

I bought that Bantam, 66 TNU, in 1996. For the following 3 years I used it as my regular transport around the hilly streets of my home in Wellington, New Zealand. It proved to be an ideal machine for whizzing around the city and its surrounding twisty harbour roads.

I shipped the bike to the UK when I moved here in 1999, but struggled to use it around Manchester, where the traffic was much faster and far less accommodating than in New Zealand. I regretfully sold it in 2005.

BUT!

Following on from his previous classic motorcycle adventure, Overland To India on a 1953 500cc Royal Enfield, author Gordon G. May aims to ride a humble 1952 BSA Bantam to the Giza pyramids in Egypt.

His route will cross the Alps, then track down the Adriatic coastline of Croatia, Albania and Greece. A ferry from Athens to Turkey via Rhodes will see the plucky little two-stroker onto the second half of its journey, travelling through Syria, Jordan and finally crossing Egypt's Sinai desert.

Check back regularly for additional information on the bike, including details of the modifications being made for the ride, and also for a blog that Gordon will write en route. The journey will commence mid-August 2009